The Tea Room
The Stillingfleet Lodge Garden Tea Room offers delicious homemade cakes and refreshing teas or coffees. The Tea Room is in our lovely renovated barn and is a great place to sit with your refreshments, admire the art exhibitions, flick through magazines and gardening books and shelter if it is raining! You are most welcome to just visit the tea room – you will not need to pay an admission fee if you are not going round the garden.
We source our products locally where possible, including locally produced ice-cream, soft drinks, chutneys and honey from our own bees. Our selection of cakes includes gluten free options. Please bear in mind that we are not Betty’s and the tea room is only staffed in our busiest months, so you may need to serve yourself.
Sorry, but we cannot accept cards or Stillingfleet Lodge Gift Vouchers as payment in the cafe.
As we are only open in afternoons, we do not provide lunches, but we do have picnic tables available for you to use in the grass car park.
Sustainable Tea Room
.Our ethos of sustainability is just as important in the tea room as it is in the garden. Here are just some of the ways we ensure an environmentally friendly tea room:
- the coffee and tea is Fairtrade
- we recycle all the glass, paper and organic waste
- we aim for a low food miles policy with no quality compromise
- cakes for the tea room are made locally by Treacles Cakes and the Yorvale Ice Cream is made on a farm just 8 miles away
- we sell locally sourced food products from companies such as Brackenhill Fine Foods at Elvington, Yorkshire Rapeseed Oil and The Choc Affair in the tea room and of course there is our own honey for sale too.
- we also sell a number of locally sourced gift items such as beeswax wraps from Starfish Living, gorgeous greetings cards and packets of seeds from our garden.
- we do not use plastic cups and have sufficient cups available to limit the dishwasher to one cycle at the end of the day
- tea bags and coffee granules are added to the compost heap.
Art in the Tea Room
Our tea-room is used throughout the summer as an exhibition space for local artists all of whom are inspired by animals and landscape. We host a different artist each month to give you another excuse to come and visit. You can read the full list here.
If you would like to buy one of the pictures from the exhibition please ask at the entrance hut to arrange payment.
We also use the tea room for some of the workshops and a welcome cup of coffee (or tea) and a biscuit is included in the cost of the workshops.