We are delighted to have been short-listed in the Ethical, Responsible and Sustainable category of Welcome To Yorkshire’s White Rose Awards 2020. This is the second successive year we have been short-listed, receiving a bronze award last year. We are hopeful that our improvements this year will bring us more success.
We are the only business short-listed in this category from the East of York so we are looking forward to flying the flag for our area.
Highlights of our application were:
- Inspiring a new generation of gardeners by showing that a garden can be both wildlife friendly and beautiful
- Achieving Green Tourism Gold status
- Focus of our website on our ethos of sustainability
- Our long history of sustainability going back to our purchase of the property in 1975
- Management of our rare ancient lowland meadow
- Managing the garden without fungicides, pesticides or chemical fertilisers
- Low food miles with all our suppliers from within 15 mile radius
- 90% of plants sold in the nursery are grown here
- Education via our gardening courses
- Supporting local culture through art exhibitions and courses
- Accessibility for people with limited mobility
- Dementia awareness training
- National recognition as a plant nursery
- How we have communicated changes in ways of working due to C-19
It is lovely to be recognised in this way, particularly as we were putting together the application during the height of lockdown when we really did not know when or even if we would be able to open. We have already won the award for Ethical business in the Selby Business Awards and have recently also become a Trip Advisor Traveller Choice for 2020.